Knocknaheeny/Hollyhill, the area in which our school is built, is a relatively new community. Today some 1500 families live in the area but just over 30 years ago it comprised of rolling countryside bordering on the Gurrranabraher, Churchfield and Farranree areas.
Cattle grazes on what is now Harbour View Road and a Windmill stood on the site of Killala Gardens. Northsiders walked out the country for a stroll to the Croppy Boy or along Nash's Boreen. Apart from hurling and football, roadbowling was a popular pastime.
The older townlands were named after plants e.g.

  • Knocknaheeny meant the Hill of the Rushes,
  • Knocknacullen meant the Hill of Holly,
  • Knockfree means the Hill of Heather,
  • Shanakiel means Old Wood or Foxes Wood
In 1862 Griffiths Land Valuation Survey reported that fifteen families formed the lands of Knocknaheeny, Knocknacullen. They paid rent to the Lord Cork. One family, Forrest, still farms land near to Clogheen.
Having constructed the road system which serves the area the corperation had to name the terraces and avenues of modern Knocknaheeny.They decided to name the individual roads and streets after harbours and coastal areas around the country. An examination on a Map of Our Area shows that many of the names can also be located on a Map of Our Coastline e.g.
  • Courtown
  • Ardmore
  • Killala
  • Dunmanus
  • Harbour View
  • Glandore
  • Foyle
  • Kilmore
  • Killiney
  • Fota
  • Dunmore

  •  

    Latest News

     

    Meet Wispi

    Comenius News